Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Lost Week



It's hard to believe that more than a week has passed since my last post. Here's a list of all that's transpired:
1. Isabel, my 18-year-old, graduated from Elmwood School in Ottawa, where she won the Governor General's Medal, Waterloo University's Euclid Medal, the University of Toronto Book Award, the book prize for top student in her grade, and book prizes for top marks in calculus and classical civilization. Whew! I'm so proud. Photo taken on our first full day in Kingston, while we were living at the Hotel Belvedere.
2. The closing on the sale of our house in Ottawa almost didn't happen. After the movers had hauled all our possessions away and we were on our way to Kingston, our lawyer called to say that our purchasers' lawyer had only just informed him that their financing had fallen through. Since the funds from our Ottawa sale were to be used the next day to close on our Kingston purchase, this was definitely not good news. Everyone scrambled. We came up with a plan for bridge financing and our Ottawa purchasers chased around for new financing. They succeeded (amazing what the threat of more than half a million dollars of liability will do to motivate), and everything worked out in the nick of time.
3. I worked intermittently on this sock from Interweave's "Favorite Socks". It's a good measure of how little time I've had for anything but the move. In one week, all I've done is knit the heel and rip it out. Pathetic, I know.
I think the worst is over, though. Onward...