Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Closing Remarks

I design and knit a lot of cardigans and jackets. I like wearing sweaters that give me the option of unbuttoning or removing them. After all, I'm at that stage of life when I'm experiencing occasional "power surges". Also, I'm pretty short, and cardigans and jackets are often more visually lengthening. So, it's not surprising that I have an interest in buttons.



 
Hand-painted buttons from Peace Fleece
Pewter buttons from Schoolhouse Press and from a booth at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival

I collect buttons when I see ones I like. Usually, this is at places like Rhinebeck, where I found these beauties on sale.

Celtic horse buttons from the Ram's Horn
I admit to a preference for buttons made from natural materials and I don't like to spend a lot--buttons shouldn't cost more than the garment they're attached to! I try to salvage buttons from sweaters that are past their prime.
Right now, I'm trying to decide what buttons to sew onto my newest creation (not quite finished, but it's not too early to start thinking along these lines). Here, I'm auditioning some small, naturally-shed deer antler buttons.