Sunday, March 6, 2011

More Handwork

A couple of months ago I had my purse stolen (a stupid story I won't get into). The problem wasn't that I lost my cards ( fortunately, only my Canadian set, not my American ones) since they were easily replaced. The real tragedy was that I lost my 2-year-old alpaca silk handknitted gloves. Big sigh! It's taken me a while, but I've finally replaced them with a new pair of merino gloves. 

 
 "Strata" gloves from Robin Melanson's "Knitting New Mittens and Gloves" in Mission Falls 136 Superwash Merino.
It's been a week of knitting for hands. Isabel, who will turn 19 next Saturday, has requested a pair of "Shirl's Mittlets". Here they are so far.






We went shopping in the stash and she chose Knitpicks Gloss (merino and silk fingering weight) in "bordeaux". I think she's going to like them a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the loss of your handknit gloves, but your replacements are beautiful. I'm eager to hear about your class, knitting mittens with thrums, and wondering if you knit them on two needles or four?

    Gaile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gaile,
    We learned to knit thrums on a practice piece--a headband which I decided not to finish. It was done on two needles. We received handouts for mitts knitted on both 2 and 4 needles. The method is as described here: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html

    ReplyDelete