Friday, April 29, 2011

Sucked into the Vortex

OK, so I got sucked into the swirling vortex that was the royal wedding this morning. I wasn't going to get up early to watch it, although I had considered having a passing glance once on the computer. I'd watched Charles and Diana's wedding, ditto (am I dating myself with that word?) for Andrew and Fergie's. I'm not a fan of blowout weddings. Then, I woke up just before 6:00 a.m. and it happened--I couldn't seem to help myself and, yes, it was glorious. I'm still not a fan of blowout weddings, but I'm prepared to make an exception for genuine royalty.
The choir's singing of  Elgar's "Jerusalem" was especially moving, bringing back memories of watching "Chariots of Fire" and my own son's time as a chorister at Washington National Cathedral (where he once sang at a Carnegie/Rockefeller wedding complete with dogwood trees down the length of the nave, just like at Westminster Abbey this morning).
Back to reality. Our cold spring continues, unenhanced by blooming trees or even leaves. Really, I can't remember when the season was so late in arriving! I decided to do my bit to move things forward and bought and planted some pansies in our window boxes.


  









Expect to finish the "Chocolat" jacket tonight.