Friday, December 2, 2011

The Brownie Cure

The furnace man came this morning to do our annual maintenance. When we lived in Washington, DC, everyone seemed surprised that we had it done every year. I used to tell them that when you're from Canada, you regard your furnace as your life line.
My cold/flu continues unabated. Really, you'd think that by day four I'd be feeling better. While the furnace man was here and I had to be up and about, I tried out a new recipe for brownies. Isabel is allergic to eggs, so I'm always on the lookout for great vegan baking recipes. Over the years I've developed an impressive collection of recipes for pancakes, muffins, cookies, etc. But brownies have eluded me. Until now. Here's the  recipe in case you're interested. And you should be, 'cause these are even better than non-vegan brownies, in my expert opinion.
 
   

The instructions say not to use tub margerine, but I used Becel (I have a feeling it's not available in the U.S.) and the result was perfection. Do not use butter; I remember watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen on brownie baking and they discovered that butter makes brownies hard, not chewy.
The furnace man left, Isabel returned home from her last class of the semester, we let the brownies cool, and then we did a test. OMG!! I swear I felt so much better after having one (OK, one and a half).
Now back to the sock knitting. It's all I'm good for today. I'm finishing up a pair of Cataraqui socks in Knitpicks "Stroll". Not a favourite sock yarn, but it needs using up. And maybe I need some tea and another brownie.