Saturday, January 28, 2012

Shape and Drape

Most of us don't have beautiful figures, and as we age, whatever we started out with tends to grow a teeny bit thick in the middle in spite of best efforts. I'm short (5' 1") and a little chunkier than I'd like, so I reckon that if a design looks good on me, it'll probably look good on other figures. Drape has a lot to do with how we look and feel in our clothes. Most of us benefit from wearing fabrics that are drapey rather than stiff and, indeed, I think this is what makes a lot of the Downton Abbey clothes so very attractive. There's been a lot of buzz in the newspapers about the effect of Susannah Buxton's designs on the fashion industry this year. I haven't seen this sort of crossover since Out of Africa, which, incidentally featured clothing from the same era. Notice how these costumes seem to flow, especially those from the garden party episode: