Friday, February 24, 2012

Spinning Out of Control

We're in the grip of our first (OK, maybe second) storm of the season.

View across the street through our bedroom window
There's something so cozy about a storm; it's an excuse to let errands go, to sit warm and snug indoors with some nice fibre and a pot of tea. I've spent the day working on the charts for Trellis and having a go at ...drum roll, please....spinning. Yes, that's right. I took a drop spindle class last fall at KnitEast, after which I put it aside until yesterday. The day before yesterday I ran into Liz at my Wednesday early music group and she was wearing a gorgeous cardigan (sorry, no photos) made from her own handspun. I felt completely inadequate. Yesterday I woke up with the urge to have a go at spinning again. I went onto Youtube (really, how did we learn anything before it?) and looked up Abby Franquemont's excellent beginner tutorials. The long and short of it is that I was hooked and still practising away at midnight. Clearly, it's going to take a great deal more practice to master even the basics, but I had a ton of fun producing this:


 My little obsession has meant that my sideways project, here,


has been put on the back burner for a bit. Hope to get back to it soon. (I might have to get someone to hide my spindle.)