Friday, December 28, 2012

The Big Dig

It turns out that we had 30 cm of snow in our last storm. I think most knitters, even those in the U.S., know that 10 cm equals 4 inches, so I leave it up to you to figure out how many inches of snow we have on the ground. That's quite a lot for us here in Kingston. Unlike our neighbours in upstate New York across the lake, we are not  prone to "lake effect" snowfalls. Usually the sidewalk ploughs come by within a few hours of the end of a storm, but so far there's been nary a one in sight. I slogged through the drifts to the grocery store anyway.

Princess Street in front of Tara Foods (where the staff had done an excellent shovelling job).
 At least it was sunny and not very cold.

House up the street from us in the "Italian style" from the 1840s.
In between dealing with the white stuff and trying not to panic about our upcoming move, I've been working on a hat pattern and getting ready to ply my merino/silk. Here's the last of my singles being wound onto a bobbin (toilet paper tube).











I confess to enjoying the low-tech aspect of this process. So far, I've no inclination for a wheel.













Time now to get on with the plying. (That's our car in background still fairly snowed in. So nice not to have to use it to get any essentials.)


Aren't these lovely? I already have an idea for what I'm going to design for this stuff, but I won't be telling for a while.