Friday, January 18, 2013

Dalliance

This morning in the midst of coping with the clouds of dust I seem to have shifted in packing up our books, I took a brief break to play with my handspun. Not entirely satisfied with what I'd explored with it earlier, I decided that its fate is to become a new Lucy scarf (see sidebar for link). I need a new scarf light enough to wear indoors, but warm enough to go outside, and the merino/silk fibre has enough sheen and twist to give the perfect amount of definition to the nubbly pattern. Most of all, I need something mindless to get me through the next few weeks.


This yarn, which you may remember I recently spun and Kool-Aid dyed, is actually a fingering weight. The original Lucy was done in a DK weight--Green Mountain Spinnery's Sylvan Spirit to be precise. To make the pattern work with this lighter yarn, I've gone down to a US #3 needle and I'm working an extra repeat of the lace stitch. I'll write it up and post it to Ravelry in case anyone wants details. Here's a better photo out in the sun. We have no snow, but the air temperature today is -6C or 21F. Brrr! My fingers were freezing while I was trying to take these shots.


In the background you see half of the bodice of my sideways jacket. Here's a better view.


The second half is almost done and I'm looking forward to the excitement of the joining. Then on to the collar and the "skirt" (for lack of a better word).
 The Friday recipe is for:



Braised Red Cabbage

½ head red cabbage
¼ c cider vinegar (OK to use white vinegar if that’s all you have)
½ c water
1 cooking apple
2 tbsp sugar or honey

Shred the cabbage finely. I prefer to do this by hand. The texture is better than when it’s done by a food processer and it takes less than 10 minutes. Peel the apple and chop it into ¼ inch dice. Put the cabbage and apple into a heavy bottomed pot with the vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour. Stir in the sugar or honey and serve.

This is a lovely and colourful accompaniment to winter dishes such as tortiere or shepherd’s pie.

Newly chopped cabbage and apple ready for cooking.
                                                                       Enjoy.