Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Recipe: Brokerage Salad

The double wave cardigan/jacket is finished, apart from the sewing on of buttons, and is blocking on a towel in our library. Note the wide-plank pine floors in this new old house. The garment has a new name, courtesy of Isabel, which will be revealed when I publish the pattern. That will be quickly, I hope, given that it is really an iteration of Wakefield with some minor changes--assuming I manage to figure out how to use charting software.


I finished up the second sleeve thanks to Audible.com, C.S. Harris's new novel, "What Darkness Brings", and the magical voice of Davina Porter. Sometimes I wonder if I'm listening so that I can knit, or knitting so I can listen.
When you're trying to get a lot done, nothing helps simplify your day like not having to think about what to make for lunch. Right now, I have a favourite noonday meal. Here it is.



Brokerage Salad

Back in the late ‘80s, before we were married, my husband and I would often meet for lunch in Ottawa at “The Brokerage”, a restaurant overlooking the Sparks Street Mall. The Mall was in its hay day, chock full of interesting boutiques, and the food was inexpensive, healthy, and delicious. This salad isn’t actually a recipe from the restaurant, but it’s inspired by its fruit and nut salad, which was originally topped with a yogourt dressing.

one crunchy apple, unpeeled and chopped
½ c chopped celery
½ c coarsely grated carrot
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ c walnuts or toasted almonds

Toss the fruits and vegetables with the olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle the nuts on top.
Note—for best flavour, buy natural, raw almonds and toast them in a toaster oven at 300F for about 12 minutes. It travels well, especially when you're on a yarn crawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment