Sunday, May 26, 2013

Undone

After knitting a right half and a left half of Harriet's Jacket, each slightly different, I spent the early part of this evening frogging everything. I avoided doing it in Bill's presence; for some reason he finds the undoing of several days of work mildly upsetting! Here you see the equivalent of 10 balls of wool, re-wound, with just two cuffs left on the needles.


I used the word "equivalent" since some of the balls were spit-spliced together while others were broken up during the knitting. At any rate, it's all back to almost the beginning again. There was a time when I wouldn't have bothered doing this. Each of the halves I had knitted was OK, after all. The thing is that the more I design, the more willing I seem to be to re-work pieces until they're more than merely OK. I want them to be as perfect as can be, and far from being a chore, the re-working is part of the fun. Now I know exactly how to make the next version the best, and I can't wait to get going.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing about this, Liz. It is so satisfying to do it RIGHT, isn't it? I, too, learn from doing and frogging isn't nearly as painful to me as it used to be.

    Having said that, I sometimes long for the day when my children are all grown up and I have the mental freedom and time to do more reworking and learning. So often with the busyness of the children around, I just work to "get it done" and move on to the next item on my list. The time to learn from doing, then think it through and make it better only gets done occasionally right now, and only on small projects like hats.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you. Ripping back most of a sweater is a BIG decision. Usually the right one though. Can't wait to see the new version.

    ReplyDelete