Sunday, August 11, 2013

Harriet's Jacket KAL Last Post: Some Thoughts on Sewing on Buttons (and Cake to Celebrate)

After re-shaping the wet jacket (see previous post), I left it alone to dry and went about other business (knitting and non-knitting) until this morning. Then, after checking that it was indeed fully dry, I tried it on again. Still perfect. This is what I love about non-superwash wools--no nasty surprises. I marked where I wanted my beautiful antiqued brass buttons to go.


Then I checked that my needle would thread through the eye of the button shanks, with room to spare,


and sewed on the buttons. I like to use one long length of yarn to do this, catching it as invisibly as possible through the back of the button band between buttons, and securing each one with an extra stitch through the back before moving on to the next (see below).


This ensures that if one button comes undone down the road, the others won't come off, and just the one can be replaced. These are such lovely buttons; the greeny gold brass complements the wool to perfection.


Time for photos.



It being high blueberry season, I celebrated the jacket with some blueberry cake, made from local blueberries, and a cup of strong tea. The recipe follows.



Blueberry Cake

½ c. softened unsalted butter or margarine (Becel works well)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, or 2 tsp egg replacer + ¼ c water
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ c. milk
2 c. unbleached flour
2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen (don’t thaw)


Preheat oven to 375 F. Either spray an 8x8” pan with Pam or grease with butter and dust with flour. Cream butter with sugar. Beat in eggs. Add baking powder, salt, and milk. Gently stir in flour, then blueberries. Fill pan with batter and bake for about 40 minutes (longer if using frozen berries). Cake is done when a toothpick, skewer, knitting needle, etc. comes out clean. 

Enjoy, and don't forget that I'll keep checking back throughout August and September with the KAL posts, as well as my Ravelry messages, to answer any questions or comments you may have regarding this fun knit.