Saturday, December 14, 2013

Time for the Heavy-Duty Stuff

When I woke up this morning the temperature on my I-Pod said -17C. It's now early afternoon and the temp has risen to a balmy -16C. That's about +3F, for my American readers. I was in shock, until I looked at the temps for Ottawa, two hours north and not under the moderating effects of Lake Ontario. There it's -20C (-4F). I know this is Canada, but I just checked with Environment Canada and the normal high for where I live at this time of year is +1C. I'm not sure what's going on, but we've been slammed straight into the middle of winter about six weeks too early.
The only thing I am sure of is that if ever there was a time to drag out all our heaviest-duty knitwear, this is it. Time for layers, and especially for the thick stuff. I'm living in "Petrova", with the cowl buttoned right up.


A lot of the time I add a down vest on top of Petrova and, if I sit down for any length of time I have to throw my MacKay shawl over my knees. It's SERIOUSLY cold! Bring on the thick socks, the steaming mugs of tea, and the hot water bottles.
Undaunted, I'm working away at experiments which are part of a new design.

Can't show you more, unfortunately. Stay warm.