Sunday, June 8, 2014

Barriefield

Yesterday Bill and I visited the village of Barriefield, now part of Kingston, on its 200th anniversary. We parked the car in the grass field next to the elementary school, and walked across the road to where the festivities were in full swing. First off, I visited the tent of the Kingston Handloom Weavers and Spinners Guild, where one of the ladies was spinning flax from a distaff. First time seeing this, and so fascinating that I forgot to take any photos. The long strands of flax were getting quite blown about in the breeze, in spite of their ribbon harness, and I was amazed at the fineness of the spun thread. After that, I got my act together and managed to record the day.
There were people in costume (the day was fortunately cool enough for wool coats),





 craftspersons and their materials,



 boats,




houses,



gardens,



and St. Marks Anglican Church,with its long, slightly uphill walk with hedges of lilacs framing both sides of the drive.




Wish we could have stayed for the afternoon tea in the parish hall, but even with a hat, I was getting horribly sunburned. A lovely time, regardless.