Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Saintly

Minus 4C today, no wind to speak of (on shore, that is) and sunny. Everything's better with sunshine. Walked by the lake and enjoyed the view of skaters, sailors, hockey players, dog walkers, etc. all taking advantage of the spectacular conditions.




Phoning and skating--is this a good idea?


Spent the morning darning one of Isabel's much-loved, but worn, sweaters. Given my hatred of darning (it was the first thing taught way back in Brownies), I feel like a veritable saint. Even so, I'm not the best darner and am loath to show the results of my labours. Next I washed the sweater and laid it out to dry with a new pair of socks.


You may recognize the yarn as Patons Kroy self-striping. It may seem as though I'm slumming it as far as sock yarns go, but truly, this remains a favourite. Soft, just a tad heavier than most sock yarns, and wears almost forever (less darning!)

4 comments:

  1. Ice skating on a lake with not much snow brought back many pleasant memories. It wasn't often, in Michigan, when we had clear ice to skate all the way across the lake --an inland lake, not Lake Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laid up at the moment, confined to the couch because of severe ankle pain. But I've hauled out the sock hospital which had amassed a truly alarming number of patients. Some patients have been discharged and it feels so good to see them back in circulation. There are, unfortunately, plenty more, but I'll take my celebration where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kroy sock yarn! My winter favorite is the 4ply. I love it's thickness & softness & the wild colors are so nice when everything around you is grey & dark. And you're so right, it wears like iron. I don't think I've darned a single Kroy sock in the last 15 years.
    We don't get many chances to ice skate outside on the Wet Coast unless Alberta kicks an Arctic Express over the Rockies. But it sure looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the "lasts forever" when it comes to socks.

    ReplyDelete