Saturday, August 29, 2015

On the Doorstep

It seemed symbolic of the changes about to happen in our lives that I took photos of Isabel on our front doorstep yesterday afternoon. She's heading off to grad school; I'm mentally preparing for her departure. It's a big step in a new direction for both of us.




This is "Glenora", an unstructured variation of "Petrova". I think it's going to be my go-to  sweater for fall. The unfinished edges and generous ease in the lower body mean it will be both comfortable and attractive. This version is knitted in Cascade's Eco+ in "Irlande", a lively green. I used 6.5 mm needles to create a relatively loosely knit fabric that drapes well. The wooliness of the yarn helps it to look beautiful at a gauge of 3 1/2 stitches per inch. I knitted the entire thing in 5 days without breaking a sweat -- a truly quick knit, knitted all in one piece without any picking up of stitches or finishing other than grafting the underarms. I think I want one in charcoal grey to go with my new chocolate jumper. The only question is whether to wear it with a shawl pin, or with button loops and large buttons, as here.

7 comments:

  1. I love it. I thought it rather plain & shapeless when I first saw it but boy, did it change when it was put on. It looks so comfy & snuggly - should be terrific in handspun!!! And I love the three buttons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sweaters just don't look their best sitting on a hanger. Think of all those times you've tried on a ready-made garment that looked like nothing special on the rack but was transformed when draped on your body. This is that sort of piece.

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth, is this pattern available yet? Where can I buy it?

      Delete
    3. It will be out in a few weeks. Would you like a draft to do a test knit?

      Delete
    4. Hi,
      Thanks for the offer but I think I better say no. With a husband recovering form major surgery, I hardly have time to knit at all. A test is out of the question at the moment. But I look forward to the pattern release.

      Delete
    5. I love this handknit....it looks easy and I love the green. Your "model" always brings your work to life. Can't wait to buy the pattern. Will you alert us when it's available?

      Delete