Saturday, October 29, 2016

A Day of Workshops

It's time to get ready for the gift season. While I try to avoid last minute knitting for gifts (knitting to a deadline seems to suck the joy out of the process for me), I know that lots of you put on a push to make a few items for family and friends. And even I usually end up doing a little of this no matter how much I try not to. What are my favourite gift items? Hats. No need to make a pair, as is the case with mitts and socks, and great for using up odds and ends from the stash. Join me on November 19 for a day of skill-boosting just in time for the holidays.

When: Saturday, November 19, 2016

Where: 420 Regent St. (Barriefield), Kingston, ON (Unlike our current location, there's plenty of parking!)

Workshop 1 (9-12): All About Stranded Knitting (Fair Isle)
 I'll cover techniques for both one-handed and two-handed methods for stranding, how to weave the carried yarn in at the back of the work, how to work corrugated ribbing, read charts, and make yarn and colour choices. I'll also talk about types of fair isle patterns and designing your own. You'll get a copy of the pattern for this easy tam to try out just in time for gift season.
                     


Workshop 2 (1-4): Dare to Cut! Taking the Mystery Out of Steeking (Cutting)
No knowledge of stranded knitting is required for this class. Learn why cutting is a useful skill to have in your knitting toolbox and why it's not just for fair isle enthusiasts. I'll go over four different methods of creating a steek, or bridge of stitches for cutting, how to work shaping around steeked edges, how to secure the steek, cut, and finish it. By the end of the workshop you'll have lost your
fear of cutting, and opened up new avenues for your passion.
                         
Cost: Half day--$30
          Full day--$50
Bring your own lunch. Coffee and tea provided.
   
How to Register: Send me a message at emccarten@gmail.com. I'll contact you with information about course materials, which are minimal and how to pay in advance via Paypal.

No comments:

Post a Comment