Tuesday, February 7, 2017

My Love Affair Continues...

My fling with purple continues. The day before I went for my hysterectomy, I cast on for a pair of socks in some Opal I had hanging around in my stash. I did a few rounds of ribbing, then packed the work up with my things to go to the hospital, thinking I'd probably need some knitting to fight the inevitable boredom that would follow the surgery. (I also packed a pair of favourite striped socks to wear before, during, and after surgery, and it turned out that having warm feet really can make a difference in how you feel.) After the surgery, I alternated between reading a mystery novel and knitting until just before noon the next day, when I was permitted to return home. Once home, I continued to work on the socks. I felt pretty much back to normal, but knew I wasn't quite there until my interest in knitting plain vanilla socks (while watching David Attenborough documentaries on Netflix) waned a couple of days later. Yes, sock knitting turned out to be a good measure of my physical and mental state. At least now I have a new pair of socks.




Tops, toes, and heels are all beautifully matching. Hot tip: when knitting with self-striping wool, don't count rounds when working the second one; simply follow the stripes. That is, if you care about the socks matching. I do.

9 comments:

  1. Liz -- I appreciate how meticulous your work is! How do you ensure that the two socks match exactly when not working with a striping wool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count the rounds. It's as simple as that. I don't write anything down; I simply read the knitting. I'm definitely not one of those two-at-a-time knitters--manipulating more than one ball as well as the long cable needle drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a complete speedy recovery! And matching socks are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was back to normal after only a few days--except I'm not suppose to left more than 10 lbs for a few weeks. I had a laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy which meant no major incisions. I was able to read my mystery novel while still in the recovery room!

      Delete
  4. Great socks!! Why is it that feet are always FREEZING in the hospital???? Mind the doctor & don't lift anything heavier than yarn. Take advantage of the knitting time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working myself up to start my first pair of socks - never considered just following the stripes - great tip!! Hope your recovery continues on such a positive note!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally lurk (but love reading your posts), but this post made me put 'virtual' pen to paper. I had the same procedure just over a year ago, best decision I've ever taken - plus it was much needed (I was constantly anaemic). I was knitting 4 hours after my operation, I have a photo of myself with the yarn in a sick bowl ;-) Just a small note: be gentle on yourself. Because you've got no external wounds it's easy to think that you're back to normal within a few days, but it's still major surgery. I got told this over and over again ;-) I tried to go back to work after 3 weeks and that was a big mistake. Physically I was fine, but I just couldn't concentrate. In the end I had 5 weeks off which was about right. Of course it's different for everyone, but just wanted to say, don't overdo it, be gentle on yourself.
    O and I knitted a Hitchhiker - that was my version of your plain vanilla socks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I was tired for the first few days, but have since had the OK to return to my usual daily 40 minute brisk walk. Feeling great, especially now that my uterus isn't on the verge of falling out, as it was for several years. The measure of my mental return was that I was able to crunch all the numbers for a soon to be published design--coming this Friday.

      Delete
    2. Glad you recovered so well and so quickly. Mine is now over a year ago and I love being able to ignore the aisles with ladies' products! (saving me a fortune...)

      Delete