Monday, November 6, 2017

Wash Day

Yesterday I finally got around to doing something I had vowed to do a long time ago. I got around to posting, on the laundry room wall, instructions for how to wash wool. Why? I'm tired of various family members asking me to talk them through the steps involved in washing their woollies. (At least they've got as far as not expecting me to do the washing for them.) I guess they don't do this often enough to remember own their own. So, in case anyone else out there is interested, here's my poster.
NOTE: these instructions apply only if you have an old-fashioned top-loading NOT HIGH EFFICIENCY washer. I had an old Whirlpool model re-built just for me. There is enough movement of the laundry load in the newer high efficiency models, even on their "soak" cycles to felt wool. Unfortunately, I learnt this the hard way.




To Wash Woollens


1. Set the washer temp to “WARM”.
2. Set the water level to “SMALL” or “MEDIUM”.
3. Pour a capful (at most) of Eucalan into the washer.
4. Fill the washer with water by setting the dial at “Regular”, then just as it starts to agitate turn the dial to OFF and push the dial in so that the machine is completely turned off.
5. Submerge your garment in the sudsy water, gently squeezing out the air.
6. Allow the garment to soak for 30 min or longer, leaving the lid of the machine up.
7. Turn the dial and set it anywhere that says, “Spin”, then pull it out to activate the machine. The machine will not spin until you close the lid.
8. Let the machine finish the cycle. Remove the garment, supporting it with your hands to prevent stretching, and lay it flat to dry on a towel, moulding and patting it into the desired shape.

     Note: Eucalan is a “no-rinse” wool wash.