Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Laundry Day

This morning I managed to finish off the socks I started during our house-purchasing/selling marathon.









The pattern is "just plain socks", from my head, 56 sts on US #2s. Boring to knit, but extremely useful.






Here they are drying next to a freshly washed pair of Brookline socks. Why wash just one pair when you can wash two?


On another topic--have you any idea how hard it is to track down unsweetened Kool-Aid packets in November? Here's what I've collected so far:


The colour I most want to find is "black cherry". If you check here, you'll see that there are lots of interesting shades you can make with it. And I might need quite a few packets, since it takes a lot of Kool-Aid to saturate wool. There's still time; I have about another 70g of fleece to spin. Now I need to contemplate what to work on next (spinning doesn't count, Natalie!).

8 comments:

  1. The yarn is lovely. What is it? I love that there is no little hole where the gusset stitches are picked up. I never can seem to achieve this - do you have a tip? Also, do you use DPN's or circulars? Thanks, Brenda


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      The trick at the gusset join is to pick up the running thread between 2 stitches right in the corner, and work into the back of it, as if making an M1. If you're really fussy, you can work an M1R on one side and an M1L on the other. On the next row, you get rid of the extra stitch. In plain socks, I simply work two decreases side by side in the gusset. You can do this same trick when picking up thumbs on mittens, or neckline borders--anywhere where there is an awkward join with a gap. Very handy.

      Delete
  2. Koolaid is fine when it's on sale & you just need a quick dye job but why not get Mother McKenzie's(Judith McKenzie) dye kit?? Comes in a tin box with lot's of concentrated dyes. Or Wilton's icing dyes - I believe you can find them at any cake decorating place - same stuff as Koolaid but seriously concentrated.

    By the way, nice socks, I love socks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know there are easier ways. the website I linked to shows lots of alternatives. I just thought this would be fun. I could still change my mind and try something else. I suppose a place like Michaels might have the icing dyes...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to try it! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot earlier to say that I'm a diehard dpn user. I learned to knit with them as a kid, and that's what I'm comfortable with.

      Delete
  4. DPs are my fav too - fast, efficient - I don't even have to look unless I'm turning a heel but not good to carry in your purse. For car knitting,I'm teaching myself to use 2 circs for socks. Slower but safe from needle pullout, stitch drop or stabbing yourself when searching for keys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I to agree that spinning doesn't count as work. It's my hobby!

    ReplyDelete