Friday, March 17, 2017

Diving In

On Thursdays I often attend a knit night at the local Portsmouth Tavern, organized by SABLE. The trouble with this is that the pub is dark and noisy, and it's almost impossible to work on anything large or anything that requires concentration. So, the purple Audrey did not accompany me last night. Instead, I dove in to "Diving In". I saw a knitter wearing one of these in a local yarn shop a few weeks ago, and it's been on my mind ever since. The version I saw was in lively turquoise and apple green alpaca, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a photo of it on the knitter's project page. Although I rarely knit other designer's patterns, this one appeals because it's in recipe format (like my own Modern Gansey). Plus, it's perfect for those single skeins of hand-dyed sock yarn hanging around one's stash. Here's what I launched last night:


The brick red with black flecks is from Dyeing for Colour Fibre Works, based in not-too-far-off Trenton, ON.
Today is St. Patrick's Day. I always make Irish soda bread to celebrate, and I always use this tried and true classic recipe.


At this moment the aroma in the house is divine. The bread should be cool by lunchtime. We're back to above-freezing daytime temps, and our recent snow is melting.


It being a Friday in conjunction with St. Patrick's Day, no doubt there will be some partying in the nearby student ghetto (sorry, but I simply refuse to use the more politically correct "student village"). Seventeen kegs were confiscated from a house on Earl St. yesterday, so it seems as though the police are ahead of the game. Fingers crossed.