Monday, January 6, 2020

Charts, Thoughts On

Are you a knitter who prefers charts to words? Admittedly, being offered both can be helpful on occasion, but in general I prefer to work exclusively from charts. Knitting is essentially an exercise in spatial thinking, and for me charts simply bypass all the word tangles that get in the way of clear thinking.
For designers, a more important issue is the form the chart will take. Will I use specially designed knitting software, a chart made using Excel, or simply a hand-drawn chart? I've used both hand-drawn and Excel charts in my work, and find I prefer the former, especially when there's a lot going on, as in "Hedgewwod". THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH A GOOD HAND-DRAWN CHART.
If this was good enough for EZ, it's good enough for me. Besides, there's a certain je ne sais quoi quality surrounding hand drawn things. Think of the original Moosewood Cookbook, completely handwritten.
With this in mind, here's what I've been up to this morning.

Main cable panel chart launched.
Chart completed (minus the all-importan key).
View out my window while I'm working.
I don't expect this snow to stick around. It's been more like November for the last few weeks. Not that I'm complaining.