Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/2011

Remembrance Day. Always think of my grandfather on this day. He almost died of wounds suffered in the trenches of France, but ended up living to the age of 95. Miss him still. Today was cold with a few bouts of sleet in the afternoon--a typical November day, in other words. I brightened the afternoon with a trip to the Kingston Handloom Weavers and Spinners annual sale.
I had been thinking of taking my bicycle, but after the first wave of sleet I decided to drive and, to make the trip economical, to continue on for some grocery shopping at Loblaws. The sale was in Portsmouth, a village founded in the 18th century, but now surrounded by the rest of Kingston. I parked at the Olympic Harbour (yes, this was the site of the sailing events for the 1976 Olympics) and had a quick look at the view across to Wolfe Island with its wind turbines.


Then I walked across King Street to the sale,















where I couldn't resist this.




Glad I got there early. I don't think it would have hung around very long. Enough for a vest or even a sweater, if I stretch it with something else. It's really more purple than blue. The colours are a little distorted in the photo.

On the knitting front, I'm still playing with different welt patterns.
















 
I'm especially attracted to Barbara Walker's "All Fools' Welt"--an 8-row welting pattern with only one row in purl. It's in her first Treasury, if you feel like checking it out.