Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Design Your Own Aran, Part Ten: Cabling Know How

Before I get to the topic of neck shaping, I want to quickly touch on some issues related to cables.

1. Cabling without a cable needle: To learn more about this, go here.

2. Decreasing into cables: This will be relevant when you get to the neck shaping. See here

3. Cable splay:  This refers to the tendency of cables to spread open in the wrong places, notably at the point where you want to end the cable. This is why it is best to try to end a cable pattern just after a cable turning row. Look at the back neck of Hedgewood and you'll see how I did this to avoid having the neckline splay open.

 

 

I've been working ahead on my own cardigan and just this afternoon finished the front bands. It needs wet blocking before I go on to do the sleeves. Having the neck and front borders done and blocked helps the cardigan hang properly when I try it on later to check on the sleeve length.


While it's drying, I'm taking time out to work on my Ophelia Overalls, a sewing project Isabel and I are undertaking this month. 

Part 11 is here