Friday, November 5, 2021

Wheatsheaves: Sleeve #1 Done!

I made a concerted effort to get the first sleeve done today. Here is the sweater resting in the late afternoon November sunshine. I love the way the angle of the sun at this time of the year floods our normally dark living room (because of the porch) with sun for a glorious hour late in the day.

You can see the garter ridges I added at the top of the sleeve. Very pleased with the effect, although I might not recommend it for someone with chunky upper arms as it tends to draw attention to that area. A few rounds from the end it became apparent that my ball of wool wasn't going to be sufficient to make it all the way to the bind off, so I decided to do a splice on a plain knitting round just before the last lace round.

Problem solved, except that just now I've discovered that my splicing tutorial needs to get added to the links in the sidebar of the blog.

In my last post I showed how to close the cardigan front using locking stitch markers. Sometimes those can cause a stitch or two to pull out a bit. Here's an even better solution for keeping a floppy cardigan together while knitting the sleeves. Simply thread a smaller size needle up through the fronts.


Works like a charm.