Tuesday, February 7, 2023

The Point

 This morning I made fabric origami.

 As I wrote yesterday, when I need lots of bias tape I like to use the "continuous" method to churn it out. There are lots of YouTube tutorials on how to do this, but once you master it, it's amazingly quick. Above, you can see the chalk lines I drew that would allow me to cut yards and yards (metres?) of 2" bias tape for binding my coat. Then, I filled up my steam iron and, using my Clover bias tape maker, I turned it all into this.

 
 
Ignore the fact that my phone camera wants to make the background grey instead of navy. Next, I sewed a little sample of how the binding will look, just to make sure all would work, and tomorrow the whole coat will be done except for the snap closures. And washing. A quilted coat needs to be washed to develop those essential quilty crinkles.
As I stood admiring my work, Bill looked at me and asked, "Will it look like a "commercial" coat, meaning one bought in a shop. Clearly, he was concerned about being married to someone who might look a trifle embarrassing (to him). I decided not to answer, since there is no way to explain to him that having a coat that doesn't look as though it came off the rack IS ENTIRELY THE POINT!