Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 3: A Pot Pie Kind of Day

Woke up to a big blow--Irene far to the southeast making herself felt.

View from our 3rd floor balcony.
The silver maple behind our house getting tossed around.
Not much rain, just a few sprinkles. The temperature kept dropping, so that by early afternoon I decided it was going to be a chicken pot pie day. I walked down to the Block and Cleaver and had the proprietor cut up a chicken for me. I roasted it, made gravy, sauteed some onions, carrots, yellow wax beans, zucchini, potatoes, and corn, made some pie crust, and voila--2 pot pies. One for tonight, one for tomorrow when we come home exhausted from our trip to Toronto (unless Bill demolishes it while we're away!)
I knitted and knitted and knitted, and listened to audio books and at long last arrived at the underarms. My experience with this pattern stitch is that it has a tendency to grow in length when blocked, so I put everything on lengths of waste yarn, gave it a bath, and laid it out to dry. As expected, it appears to have gained an inch. There's a chance it will shrink back when dry, but probably not. In that case, I'll frog the last inch before proceeding with the upper body. I'm putting a suggestion re blocking in the written pattern so anyone who wants to knit this jacket will have the info they need to make it fit properly.