Sunday, December 30, 2012

Anticipating Downton, Season Three

I'm done with my Lord Peter Wimsey holiday marathon, but I'm still in awe of Harriet Vane's wardrobe, knits and non-knits alike. And the shoes! What one wouldn't give for a stroll through the BBC wardrobe department's closets.
So, now on to looking forward to that other period extravaganza, Downton Abbey, Season Three. OK, I was far less enamoured with Season Two than Season One--too much happening in too short a space of time, but nonetheless, it's riveting, if for nothing other than the clothes.
This seems a good time to have another look at my Downtown Jacket, inspired when the series was in its infancy and had a relatively small following. It's a seamless knit in garter and double moss stitch. The richness of the blue heather unfortunately doesn't show in these photos. I'm toying with the idea of making a new one in grey.







I took Megan, a lovely neighbour, out for some photos last December, when we hadn't any snow. Can you tell why she's a drama student?


There are a couple of different ways to configure the buttons on this design. See how it makes a difference in how the neckline lies?






Here's a closeup of the cuff detail. This design is all about the buttons. I was lucky enough to find one which was available in several sizes. FYI, it's a replica of an 18thC Russian coin (at least that's what I think it is, from the 2-headed eagle) from Dill Buttons. I just happened to find them at my LYS.



Have you noticed that old houses were usually designed to look good from all angles, not just the front? A good sweater design should work in the same way.



Just as good going as coming.