Tuesday, September 28, 2021

A Beginning and Some Ends

 Let's start with some "ends". My new Ellerbeck with my new burgundy York Pinafore.

I know I said I would get a photo of myself wearing Ellerbeck, but try as I would, I couldn't get a good take of the hemline, so I resorted to The Mannequin. And I couldn't resist positioning it next to some art by local fibre artist Robin Fields. 

Now, to a beginning. I started a new Wheatsheaves yesterday. Here's my crochet chain in preparation for the provisional cast on. Notice the knot at the end on the right hand side to alert me where to "unzip" the waste yarn when the time comes. Don't worry if you've never done this; there are links in the pattern to my tutorials for this and other necessary skills, and knitters tell me that the instructions are clear, easy to follow, and all you need to get through the opening steps to this no-sew cardigan. My best advice is to set aside an hour of uninterrupted time to get launched into the provisional cast on and shoulder short rows. It's the most technically demanding part of the entire sweater, but don't be intimidated. Once you're past the shoulders it's clear sailing.

This time around I decided to switch things up and do German short rows instead of the wrap and turn method in the pattern. These days I generally prefer the former. They're easier and more invisible, at least for me. If you decide to go this route, you'll need to knit an extra stitch before each turn. I highly recommend this little tutorial on German short rows from Tin Can Knits. 

Here's how the back looks today. The yarn is good old Cascade Eco+ in Silver (because I want the lace borders to really show).

Fall has arrived. The furnace kicked on in the night. It was time to rescue some of my Annabelle hydrangeas to let them dry indoors so they retain some of their late summer green colour. Why pay for dried flowers when you can pick them for free?