Friday, September 3, 2021

Willingdon Re-launched

I've had a lot of pressure from knitters to make my designs available again, so today I'm beginning slowly by re-launching Willingdon. This time, I've set up a paywall, which is a double-edged sword. It definitely discourages copyright abuse, but at the same time it creates a ton of tax reporting. But, with the cooler weather upon us (down to 11C last night), I want to allow people to share in the pleasure of knitting what I consider to be the ultimate fall cardigan.

Here are some helpful hints:

1. The forearms are purposely on the close-fitting side. Consider starting with a larger number of stitches than indicated if you feel that would be more appropriate for you, or especially if knitting this for someone of the male gender.

2. Try to choose a yarn that is "chunky", like Cascade Eco or Eco+, as opposed to "bulky". Ravelry, being based in the USA, does not make that distinction in its yarn weight choices, but here in Canada and in the UK, that distinction exists. You can check your gauge by starting a sleeve, then wet blocking it after a few inches.

3. Check out the link in the pattern to my raglan and neck decrease charts. Most knitters find them super useful.

For the first time since the start of the pandemic I drove to Picton in Prince Edward County yesterday. It seems that the real estate developers are having a field day there with so many big city dwellers looking for small town/rural properties. I barely recognized parts of town. I brought home a good sized haul of produce from Hagerman's, the best farm stand in the world. 

We could never find yellow beans when we lived in Washington, DC, and ever since I can never pass up the opportunity to indulge. This morning I made our favourite roasted tomato and garlic soup and now I have these to share with the kids (at some point those inherited kitchen countertops have to go!)

What else is new? The cooler weather has gifted me with a burst of energy so I put it to good use and painted the floor of our front porch.

So fresh looking!