Sunday, December 12, 2021

At Last, the Uniform Cardigan

Back in late spring/early summer I started Madder's Uniform Cardigan in Ultra Alpaca's "Blueberry Mix". Note: this publication is no longer in print, but there's a version on Ravelry here. There's a reason I don't often knit other designers' patterns. I'm rather petite and these projects always require so much futzing that it's usually simpler just to do my own thing. But I liked the elegant simplicity of the design and forged ahead. Slowly. So much plain knitting. So boring. So much ripping out and re-knitting to get everything in just the right proportions. I did some things my own way, including the top-down pocket method and the circularly knitted sleeves, among other details. For ages the cardigan languished with the knitting done but the weaving in, button sewing, and blocking left to do. I got so tired of it taunting me that I stuffed it into a trunk and pretty much forgot about it. Until last week. On Friday, finding myself in the mood, I finally wove in the ends and chose some buttons.

Can you see the purpley-pink heather pocket linings? Visit this tutorial to see how they were done. For links to other techniques I used that differ from the pattern see this post.

Last night we had horrific wind, the tail end of the system that caused the devastating tornadoes south of the border. The house actually shook and we lost power for most of the night. When it came back on, our furnace/boiler didn't. Eventually, feeling cold and exhausted I went on the internet and looked for a solution -- hitting a reset switch. I'm feeling clever for solving this, considering that boilers seem vaguely terrifying. This morning I went out and picked up bits of branches that had come down, then came back indoors and took this pic of me (with very windblown hair) in my new cardigan.

Ta da!