Sunday, December 5, 2021

Working Out the Kinks

When Isabel visited yesterday we browsed through a bunch of books and websites looking for inspiration for a new sweater for her (we found it). This morning I frogged about an hour of knitting on something that was making me grumpy every time I picked it up, and steamed the wool to get out the kinks. Here it is with the previously knitted part of the skein (still attached to the cake) waiting for my steam iron to do its magic.

All you need to do to un-kink is hover the iron over the wool, NEVER touching it or staying long enough in one place to scorch it. The wool is Kelbourne Woolens "Scout", a soft, gorgeous non-superwash dk wool. It might be my new go-to dk.

FYI, is it worth this extra un-kinking before re-knitting? Absolutely. One of the great things about aging is you actually have a lot of experience to lean on. Trust me on this.

Mostly, as I wait for snow and possibly freezing rain to arrive tonight, I've been working on a Merchant and Mills dress. This one, with this hack (the pleated skirt). It's not a quick sew, but this afternoon I've managed to complete most of the fully lined bodice. Feeling pleased with myself.

The main fabric is Brussels Washer, yarn dyed black, a blend of linen and rayon, and the lining is a remnant of some Essex linen/cotton left over from my Pants #1. 

And just in case you missed the slight modification I made to the sleeves on my new Wheatsheaves, here's a pic that shows the little garter stitch ridges at the top of the dropped sleeves.

Stay warm, stay safe, and keep on making!