Sunday, June 12, 2011

On Swatching

I have to confess that I'm terrible about doing swatches. Usually, I start out with some yarn I love, guesstimate needle size, and just start knitting. If there are any adjustments to be made for fit, I just make them as I go (especially easy if the design is top down). But right now, I want to knit a tweedy version of Chocolat for fall and I'm trying to decide between two gorgeous wools.

Natually's Aran Tweed

Rowan's Felted Tweed Aran



Janie H. sent me home with a big bag filled with enough of each to make a jacket. Now I'm swatching and deciding. I've knitted both swatches on a 4.5 mm needle, which creates a slightly dense fabric. Both swatches have been wet blocked and are drying in the warm afternoon sun (indoors, since I don't trust our squirrels). Neither swatch works out to the 5 sts per inch of my original version of Chocolat, but I love them enough that I'll deal with that. I might even decide to write up the pattern for an aran weight yarn; that decision awaits.
Hope your day is as perfect as ours.

Pale pink peonies from a garden on Earl St.; heavenly scent.