Thursday, January 7, 2021

First Make of 2021

I love linen for sewing. It's tough, soft, and drapey. I wear it year round, and I try to make 4-season garments as much as possible. For instance, this new dress can be worn on hot summer days as is, or layered with leggings, sweaters, and scarves for cooler times of the year.

The fabric is Merchant and Mills laundered linen. I cut the bodice from size 0 of the Wiksten Shift Dress, than self-drafted some darts in both the front and back. They are actually much better pressed than they look in the photo with no puckering.

I cut the bodice so that the waist is just very slightly higher than my natural waist and then cut out two rectangles for the skirt portion, allowing enough width for the gathers. I also added in-seam pockets. The finished length is just (barely just) below the knee. The waist is still quite loose, but not ridiculously so. 

I'll start wearing this dress now with a cotton tee underneath, a warm sweater on top, a scarf, and leggings. Which of my sweaters do you think will go best with it?