Thursday, August 23, 2012

Supervision Required

We're having our bathroom painted. Actually it's being painted, AND the disgusting sliding doors over the tub are being removed and replaced with a shower curtain rod. This is meant to be a quick, relatively inexpensive fix, until we get around to doing a full bathroom reno (which might be years away). Unfortunately, once you get workmen into your house, especially this old house (150+ years old), nothing is quick or easy. This was my second-floor hallway this afternoon,


                                                                 and my stairway.


However much I'd like to leave the house (as Bill has done) and return when it's all over, bitter experience has taught me that all workmen, even the most intelligent, require supervision. Questions inevitably come up, problems must be solved, wanton destruction avoided... You get the picture. On the plus side, I'm loving the new colour (Benjamin Moore CC 150), and the room looks much larger without the impossible-to-clean sliding doors.
The only problem with being the supervisor, is that you never get as much other stuff done as you think you will. I had visions of knitting all day in my breezy sunroom, while the magical transformation was taking place. Instead, there've been so many interruptions that I've had to rip out most of what I did this morning.

 Even so, you can see progress. Compared to Trellis v.1, I've been removing bigger chunks of the contrast colour (burgundy/pink) to keep the two colour families in synch. Kauni is like that. It's a little bit unpredictable, but in a good way. Here's my little collection of removed bits.


I'll probably add them back in at strategic points further on.
In my last post I forgot to show off the glass buttons I picked up in Lake Placid. They're tiny, but real gems.


The violet colour of the top row didn't come out very well in this photo.


These little rosettes look almost edible, don't you think? Yum!