Thursday, September 13, 2012

Trellis: Decreasing in Fair Isle

It looks as though I'll be able to wear this at Rhinebeck. For once I'm done with a project ahead of schedule!


In the first version of Trellis, I followed Eunny Jang's suggestion for decreasing in fair isle from her Steeking Chronicles. In other words, I reversed what one would normally do; when arriving at the armhole steek, I worked a SSK, then the steek, then a k2tog. However, I found that when I-cord abutts this type of decrease, it creates a little ditch--fine, so long as the method is followed consistently throughout the garment. This time, I changed to the usual method--a k2tog right-leaning decrease on the right-hand side of the steek, followed by SSK on the other side, both decreases worked in whichever colour came next in the colour pattern (I could have done same in the background colour if I'd wanted the decrease to be more visible as a design feature). Here's the result,


and I like it a lot. Those of you who have purchased the pattern will have received a notice of an updated version reflecting this change.
The waist shaping turned out very well, I think, with minimal interruption of the design.


The only real challenge was finding buttons I loved. Yesterday I drove (a rented car) on a little yarn crawl up to Just Knitting in Carleton Place, and Janie H. Knits in Perth (sadly closing at the end of the month), and winding up at Knit Traders here in Kingston. Alas, no pewter buttons of the right design or size. Then this morning, only a five minute walk from my front door, there they were at Gwin Gryffon.
 







Don't you love the way they echo the floral colour pattern?








Yesterday's trip wasn't a total loss, though. I found this yummy pink mohair from Fleece Artist.



Now, I'm thinking what a fun scarf I could design/knit to wear with my new Trellis...